Looking for holiday gifts that say “UC Davis”? We’ve got a few ideas for you, including a fresh batch of UC Davis Olive Oil (sold individually and in gift sets), the perennial favorite Plush Cuddle Cow at UC Davis Stores, and gift certificates for athletics and the Mondavi Center for the Performing Arts.
The new batch of olive oil — Wolfskill, Gunrock and Roasted Garlic — is made primarily from olives harvested just over a month ago at UC Davis’ Wolfskill Ranch near Winters. The olives did not come from Wolfskill’s older trees, but from a new orchard that the UC Davis Olive Center planted in 2012.
The harvest took place Nov. 4, and part of the crop was milled (pressed) that very day by a mobile milling crew — the first “in-the-field” milling ever at the 176-year-old Wolfskill.
“About 35 percent of the olives did not shake off the trees, so we came up short on our production goals,” said Dan Flynn, the Olive Center’s executive director. “Thus our Gunrock and Wolfskill olive oils are not 100 percent estate this year, despite the word ‘estate’ on the labels. We purchased a very high quality, locally produced olive oil to top up our tanks.”
Gunrock and Wolfskill won gold medals at the New York International Olive Oil Competition this year, and, said Flynn, “We think our new oils are every bit as good.”
You’ll find UC Davis Olive Oil at these UC Davis Stores: Campus Store (Memorial Union), Downtown Store, Welcome Center Store and The Market at the ARC (the Campus Store and Downtown Store have the best supplies).
The Wolfskill, Gunrock and Roasted Garlic olive oils come in 250- and 100- millimeter bottles, sold individually. The three olive oils also are available in 250-mililiter size in a gift box.
The 100-mililiter bottles are also available in a gift set, packaged with three bottles of vinegar imported from Modena, Italy: Barrel-Aged Balsamic Vinegar, D’Anjou Pear White Balsamic Vinegar and Mission Fig Balsamic Vinegar.
Each purchase helps support the Olive Center’s mission of research and education — aiming to do for olives what UC Davis did for wine.
Gift central: UC Davis Stores
UC Davis Stores, of course, carry all kinds of other branded gifts — including apparel — and you can shop in person or online.
The Campus Store and Downtown Store carry the Cuddle Cow and other plush, in addition to imprinted mugs and holiday ornaments.
Wondering if the stores will be open? See the hours below, but, rest assured, the Downtown Store is open every day until Christmas, and the Campus Store is open almost as many days (exceptions: Dec. 15, 20 and 21).
MC tickets and gift certificates
●? Mondavi Center for the Performing Arts — Consider giving tickets to a concert or speaker event (the Mondavi Center’s calendar runs into June), or purchasing a gift certificate to let the recipients decide what to see.
Violinist Itzhak Perlman performs Jan. 11, the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra Jan. 25 and the San Francisco Symphony March 7. ... cookbook author Samrin Nosrat speaks Jan. 29, and New York Times White House correspondent Maggie Haberman speaks April 15 ... Ladysmith Black Mambazo takes the stage Feb. 15 and Arlo Guthrie April 26 ... and those are just a few of the offerings.
Here’s how to get tickets and gift certificates:
- In person or by phone — The box office is open from noon to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday (and one hour before all ticketed events), but only through Friday, Dec. 20 — after which the theatre will be closed for winter break. Telephone: 530-754-2787 or toll-free 866-754-2787?
- Online — You can buy gift certificates anytime online; you will receive a confirmation email that includes a link to print a blank certificate, so you can fill it in for immediate gift-giving.
Give the gift of “Go Ags!” with tickets to our three winter sports that charge admission: men’s and women’s basketball, and women’s gymnastics. Tickets are available for individual games and matches, and in ticket packages as follows:
- Men’s basketball — Individual games, season tickets, Pick 6 Plan, “UC” Mini Plan (vs. UC Riverside, Santa Barbara and Irvine) and Conference Pack (eight games). The Aggies open Big West Conference play at home, 7 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 9, vs. UC Riverside. See the schedule.
- Women’s basketball — Individual games, season tickets, Pick 6 Plan, “UC” Mini Plan (vs. UC Riverside, Santa Barbara and Irvine) and Conference Pack (eight games). The Aggies’ Big West Conference home opener is set for 2 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 11, vs. Hawaii. See the schedule.
- Women’s gymnastics — Individual matches and season tickets. The Aggies host the NorCal Classic (Cal, Stanford, San Jose State and Sacramento State), 2 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 12. See the schedule.
Here’s another idea: The Junior Aggie Pass for ages 3-13 — a $30 pass good for admission to every home athletics contest for all of 2019-20 (through end of the spring season).
How to get tickets:
- In person or by phone — The ticket office at the north end of UC Davis Health Stadium is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Telephone: 530-752-AGS1 (2471). The office will be closed Dec. 20-Jan. 3.
- Online — Use the links above for the different sports and the Junior Aggie Pass.
UC Davis Stores hours
This is the latest information from UC Davis Stores’ master calendar as of today (Dec. 10). Check the calendar for possible revisions.
●? Campus Store (including Tech Hub), Memorial Union — Regular hours through Sunday, Dec. 15: 8:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Friday, noon-5 p.m. Saturday and closed Sunday. Then:
- Monday-Friday, Dec. 16-20 — 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Saturday-Sunday, Dec. 21-22 — Closed.
- Monday, Dec. 23 — 10 a.m.-6:30 p.m.
- Tuesday-Wednesday, Dec. 24-25 — Closed.
- Thursday-Friday, Dec. 26-27 — 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Saturday-Sunday, Dec. 28-29 — Closed.
- Monday, Dec. 30 — 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Tuesday-Wednesday, Dec. 31-Jan. 1 — Closed.
- Thursday-Friday, Jan. 2-3 — 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
●? Welcome Center Store — Regular hours through Friday, Dec. 13: 10 a.m.-3:30 p.m., 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday and closed Sunday. Then, closed Dec. 14-Jan. 1.
●? Downtown Store — Regular hours through Monday, Dec. 23: 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday and noon-5 p.m. Sunday. Then:
- Tuesday, Dec. 24 — 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Wednesday, Dec. 25 — Closed.
- Thursday-Saturday, Dec. 26-28 — 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Sunday, Dec. 29 — Noon-5 p.m.
- Monday, Dec. 30 — 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Tuesday, Dec. 31 — 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Wednesday, Jan. 1 — Closed.
- Thursday, Jan. 2 — Regular hours resume.
Amazon @ UC Davis hours
It’s attached to the Campus Store in the Memorial Union, but Amazon @ UC Davis has its own entry and different hours. Regular hours, 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Friday and noon-9 p.m. Saturday-Sunday, with the following exceptions during the holiday season:
- Tuesday, Dec. 24 — 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Wednesday, Dec. 25 — Closed.
- Tuesday, Dec. 31 — 9 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Wednesday, Jan. 1 — Closed.?